Believe it or not, there is a right and wrong way to brush your teeth. Skip the unnecessary trips to the dentist and “brush up” on these tips and tricks to help you avoid cavities and improve your overall oral health.

  • Brush for two minutes before bed

In addition to your morning brushing routine, it’s important to make sure you brush your teeth every night before you go to to bed. Bacteria is known to build up the most at night while you are sleeping and brushing in both the morning and night can help cut down on this build up. Although brushing twice a day is recommended, brushing three times a day is even better.

  • Brush after lunch.

Looking for an easy way to add a third brushing time into your day? Consider brushing your teeth after lunch. This is a great way to get in a good midday cleaning, especially if you are a morning coffee drinker.

  • Spend most of your time brushing your back teeth

Cavities are notorious for showing up in your back teeth, an area oftentimes missed while brushing. Focus a good amount of time brushing and flossing your back teeth to get rid of nasty tartar and plaque build up, the main culprits for causing cavities.

  • Use a toothpaste with fluoride and cavity protection.

It can be a little stressful picking the best toothpaste in an aisle full of toothpaste choices. Look for a toothpaste that provides both fluoride and cavity protection. Fluoride has been proven to prevent cavities and even reverse tooth decay. You can also look for the ADA seal which assures that the toothpaste has met the American Dental Association requirements.

  • Floss and rinse with mouthwash before bed.

Did you know brushing only cleans 60% of your teeth? Flossing is a great way to get to the rest of the 40% tooth surface in between your teeth. Rinsing with mouthwash before bed is also a great way to get out any food particles still hiding in your teeth that can cause build up overnight.

  • Perfect your brushing technique

One of the most important aspects of brushing your teeth is using the right technique. Use short strokes and an up-and-down motion for the greatest impact. Also, try holding your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums for a cleaner and healthier mouth.

Dental Appointment button

Toothbrush and Toothpaste